The Township Treasurer is a public employee, whether an individual or corporation, appointed by the Board of Supervisors. Terms of employment and salary are set by the board.
The primary duties and functions of the treasurer include:
- Assisting the Board of Supervisors in the preparation of the budget and such other reports as may be required by the duties of the office
- Keeping distinct and accurate accounts of all sums received from taxes and other sources, which accounts shall be open to the inspection of the board of supervisors and any citizen of the commonwealth
- Paying out all monies of the township only on direction by the Board of Supervisors
- Preserving account books, papers, documents, and other records of the office and turning them over to the successor in office
- Providing annual account statements and making them available to the Board of Auditors for settlement
- Receiving all monies due the township and depositing them promptly in a designated depository in the name of the township